Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I love the animals here...?

What a way to start out the day. We were on our walk just like yesterday (check my previous post for the amazing pictures) and we were just about finished. The end was in sight. However, this walk did not end like yesterday - not in the slightest. Markie and I were about 30 feet behind Sis. Palmer, Morgan, and Tanya; but before we could catch up to them, they started yelling at us to move and get close to them. We thought there was a car coming, so we moved off to the side of the road. But they were still yelling for us to move. We didn't understand why until we heard a huge bellow. I mean HUGE bellow. It was then that Markie and I realized that a huge bull was charging down the hill - straight towards us. Heck no we weren't running to the three girls - we were running to the car! We got in the car just in time to look out the window and see the crazed bull plow past with it's tongue hanging out like a savage animal. Don't worry about the other girls - they were on the opposite side of the street, but man was that freaky! I wish I had a picture of it, but it was either get a picture, or not be gored by a rampant bull. I think you all can assume which option I picked.

More adventures later in the day as we journeyed to San Camilo, a huge market. But first, I must tell you all about one of the things that constantly amazes me about Peru. They have shops for everything! The shops surrounding San Camilo are so interesting. You need to buy a belt? There's a shop completely designated to selling those. You want a new bra? There's a shop for that. What about some Tupperware; or nuts? Maybe a piƱata? Or some cooking pots? Whatever you need, there's a shop for that. And, of you can't find a shop that sells what you're looking for, there's always a street vendor - like the shoelace man. :) But enough about the shops surrounding San Camilo, I want to tell you about what's inside. There are aisles and aisles of everything! There's an aisle with tons of cheese, and another with vegetables, and it basically goes on through the list just like at a grocery store - but San Camilo is an outside farmer's market. Although it was fun to look at everything there, I would never buy anything.
Here's a few reason's why:
1.) The health codes are not up to FDA standards. A woman selling bread dropped a loaf and instead of getting rid of it, simply placed it back in the basket. No big deal or anything...?
2.) They sell meat in an open area. It's not refrigerated! Also - they sell sheep heads. See for yourself.
3.) There are stray animals running around everywhere (hence why I was so fearful for the bread being placed back in the basket.) Some of the animal even take advantage of the situation and decide to take a nap - like this little kitty here:
4.) There are crazy dried up llama heads apparently used for sacrificial reasons, and after I saw these little pretties and the smelly meat aisle, my appetite was gone.
5.) Did I tell you that they also sell sheep heads?

Despite the different conditions they keep their food in, and the oddities I've seen today, I really am loving this whole experience! Don't get me wrong - San Camilo was...different...but I've never had more fun! Haha, it's one of my favorite places in Peru. I love it here! Also, don't worry - I am learning more spanish. :)

Buenas Noches! More to come soon! Everyday an adventure... :)

3 comments:

  1. I want a llama head!!! Do they have a green one? ha ha! Just kidding!! Looks like a blast, and I'm glad that you didn't get hit by the bull! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with "dead heads" in Peru?! The sheep head in the corner is seriously creepy. Don't bring any of that stuff back with you...

    Mom (via Lee's account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you Megan I'm glad that you are having such a good time. How are you feeling any altitude sickness? be good keep the posts and pictures coming I love to learn about new peoples, countries and cultures. Love ya tons Hurricane-Dad

    ReplyDelete