Saturday, May 28, 2011

Recap!

Well Hello world! Happy Saturday! I've missed the past couple days because it's been so busy! We've done a lot, so I'm just going to recap what's been going on! On Thursday we went to the black market, known as Avaleno. Apparently the only things black market there are the pirated DVD's and cd's, but it's fun to say "the black market." It adds to the excitement of it all :) Here's a very candid shot of me buying things. I bought a headband, a new sparkley ring, and a flower - all for 21 soles - - which is about $7 in American money. Boo Yah!
On Friday, we went back to San Camilo to buy flowers for our hostess (we were going to a BBQ that night) and Morgan got her scissors sharpened. It was one sole - or $.30 in American money! The people at the knife store had probably never had Americanos come to their shop. Their expressions were priceless and they were excited to have us watch them sharpen the scissors. So funny - and the sparks in the picture are real.
Going back to Thursday... after the black market, we all went with Julio to pick up Uncle Palmer from the mine. We went up to his office and we all got glasses, vests, and hard hats to go for a small tour! I really liked that hard hat! They mine copper at this mine and it was cool to hear about the mining process and how they get the copper as well. After our trip next week, we are going to take an in-depth tour of the actual refinement process and I'm excited for that! We kind of look like professional gangster miners... hahaha :)
I'm just jumping around here, but more about Friday - here are the flowers we bought for the BBQ. We took a picture in San Camilo as you can see. It was funny, because as Aunt Janelle was taking the picture, a whole bunch of Peruvians gathered around behind her to look at the picture we were taking. Haha, they all smiled and said "so beautiful" and other things like that. If you think a group of 4 gringo girls with 3/4 of them being tall blondes walking around San Camilo gets attention from the locals, try adding a bouquet of flowers to the mix! We were never NOT stared at! That's one thing I can't get used to here - Being analyzed wherever you go. But it's fun :)
Last but not least, here's a picture of La Plaza at night. We've been there a lot. Lots of tourist shops, and lots of pigeons during the day. Lee Scott and Hisicane - I bought your ties here for $5 each! HA! And - to all of you who made fun of me becausa all I can say really in Spanish is "uno, dos, tres porfavor" - Markie asked the shop lady over and asked how much the ties would be, and the the shop lady asked which ones I wanted. And guess what!??? I pointed to the three ties and said "uno, dos, tres porfavor!" HA! Showed you all... :)
Anyways, there are always fun things going on in Peru. I love it here!
And guess what!?? Next week we travel to the city of Cuzco (yes, like Emperor's new groove) and we see Machu Piccu next Wednesday! How exciting!

Until I blog again! Buenos Tardas!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the uno dos tres porfavor, and I'm glad that you found me a tie! I hope it's awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete